Friday, February 22, 2008

Dear LA Lakers

Dear Los Angeles Lakers,

I want you to know I hate you again.  Yes.  Hate.  It's not a word I use a lot.  I've thought long and hard about this and I'm probably going to get some season tickets to cheer for your opponent.

This anti-devotion started way back during the 99-2000 season.  See, I'm really a San Antonio Spurs fan.  At the time, I thought the addition of Tim Duncan would bring many titles to San Antonio.  It has, but not in the way I thought.  Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O'Neal, and timely 3-pointers from Robert Horry.  Damn you.  I had to watch every game and curse every move you made.  All because I wanted my Spurs to be the best in the West.

As it turns out, 1999, 2003, 2005, and 2007 were good years for the Spurs.  But in-between 1999 and 2003 were 3 seasons ending in defeat for the Spurs and NBA Championships for the Lakers.

The hate continued.

Lately I haven't been watching the NBA.  Your Laker teams have been an absolute mess.  I loved it!  Kobe thought he was the man.  He wasn't.  Phil Jackson came back to be the saviour.  He wasn't.  You drafted very well in hopes to resurrect the magic of the early decade.  Nope.  Come on... Kwame Brown and Lamar Odom?

But then...

Very recently you traded for one of my favorite "young" players for some time.  Pau Gasol.  You traded the absolute rock of a struggling franchise and added a perfect compliment to a triangle offense.  Only Dallas Maverick Dirk Nowitzki would have worked out better.  He shoots well.  He runs well.  He rebounds well.  He passes well.

He passes to Kobe... Kobe Bryant.  2 years ago Kobe was NOT the best player in the NBA.  He demanded to leave LA and I loved it!  What value did anyone on that team have that would be worth anything now?  This isn't AAA baseball.  In the NBA it isn't as easy to "grow" farm players while being THAT competitive.  But you traded expiring contracts to Memphis who lately seems to be throwing in the towel and starting over from scratch.  Now Kobe has a few pieces to the puzzle that is Phil Jackson's triangle offense.  PLUS he can create his own shot.  I mean, Andrew Bynum?  He's a true 7 footer!  Sick.  And to think the "only" way you could get options for Kobe would be to trade one of the true centers in the NBA.  He has worked out VERY well for you LA.

Now Kobe is the best player in the NBA.

Now you are competitive.

LA, I want you to know that I hate you again.  You made me watch the NBA again.  It's the best thing to happen to fans in a long time.  Brilliant.

Thank you Lakers.  I love you hate you.  You are the best!

Sincerely,
Josh

No comments: