Thursday, January 24, 2008

Title of my blog...

I've already been asked what my blog title means. For some of you, it will be automatically obvious that I listen to "The Dave Ramsey Show". And now, the rest of you know that I listen to "The Dave Ramsey Show!"

Wow... I just realized when you put thoughts on paper it doesn't make sense to say some things first and then explain the obvious in the next thought... it's not like talking.

Anyway... "The Dave Ramsey Show" is now my new favorite radio program. Unfortunately I live in San Diego and subscribe to Dish Network. Neither of these give me access to the show on a regular basis... so I can't get it through something I already pay for.

BUT, those brilliant folks at iTunes give me one hour (without commercials, so it's like 40-42 minutes) of the show for free. TOTALLY WORTH IT! I laugh, I have empathy, and I can think about financial things that affects me. I used to liken it to my grandfathers advice, and every now and again, Dave will say the phrase, "We'll give you the same financial advice your grandmother used to, only we'll keep our teeth in!" If you don't listen, I can't urge you enough. I happen to listen to it while I run.

Speaking of running... for those that DON'T know me, I've been a big runner since high school but I quit when I started graduate school and throughout most of the early part of my Naval career.

So... about... let's see... 2001 through mid 2006... about 5 years. Goodness! I didn't realize it was that long of a time, but Bridget guilted me back in to it and I ran my first half marathon in 2006.

Now I run quite a bit! I ran 3 half marathons over a year-long period (December 2006 through November 2007) and Matt Cegelske "challenged" me to run 3 miles a day during the month of December.

So I streaked... I did AT LEAST a 5K during the month of December. I hated it the first 4-5 days, but after a while Abbey would push me out the door because I would "need" to run. You'll have to ask her what that means. I still don't know.

Currently I'm trying to run 20 miles a week. 5 miles 4 times a week. Sometimes I get there... sometimes I don't... for example last week I did around 19. It just so happened that I didn't run quite 5 miles each time. It was most likely because lately I've been running fast, and for only around 45 minutes. I'd say I run somewhere between a 8:30-9:30 pace. Since I'm really only doing "maintenance" miles I'd say that's too fast. What do you think?

1 comment:

My Gen Research said...

I just wanted to stop in and say Hi! :) I love the blog name.

You might look into signing up for dave's tmmo website. The support on the forums and chat as well as getting all 3 hours of the show commercial free in podcast are well worth the 8.95/month or $90/year!